Timeline

9 – 10 cc

At the turn of 9 - 10 centuries, ancient "Domus" was a participant and/or witness of  accession of Old Catalonia (from the Pyrenees to the river Llobregat). Some of the villas and houses on the Maresme coast supplied people from Vayis Kanetum (old name of Canet de Mar) with the products from their farms, wood and wine. These events likely represent a prototype of the painting, which can be found on the wall in the Throne room. The painting represents Wilfred the Hairy, Count of Barcelona, who was wounded in battle (one of the legends how the flag of Catalonia was created).

From Roman times to the 12th century

​The Marisme coast was full of evidences that these territories, including places close to the ancient villa - "Domus", were inhabited way back in Roman times. That is why it is no wonder, that the building could be constructed on the place of an ancient roman villa. Some researchers of this topic mention the 3rd century BC.  This theory can be once again verified by the archaeological remains of old villas and domus founded in such towns near Canet de Mar, as Arenys de mar, Saint Paul, Mataro and along the whole length of August road.

11 – 12 cc.

The first documented mention of Canet people the tells about Guadamir de Canet (1024), Gilabert de Canet (1041) and Arnaldo de Canet(1168). At this time the ancient Domus became the first center around which other houses were built on the pitch of a hill. According to the latest studies St. Pedro Romaguera lived not far away from this area and was considered as its patron and protector.

13th

During this period ancient villa Domus became extremely important for the region and turned into a kind of center for new settlements. The Canets with knight Ferrer de Canet at the head continued living in the house.

1251-1334

After the death of knight Ferrer de Canet, his daughter married Bernat de Villalba. After some time Ferrer de Canet The Great was born into the family. Ferrer de Canet the Great played a major role in expanding and strengthening the image of the home.

1335-1346

Ferrer de Canet was a noble knight and advisor of King Alfonso V of Aragon, and ambassador to the Pope on behalf of Peter IV of Aragon. This period was one of the most important for “Domus”, thanks not only to the significant expansion of land holdings but also to construction of two towers with medieval gates, which protected the house from pirates of the Mediterranean.

1347-1400

Arnau de Canet, son of Ferrer de Canet The Great, as a result of his marriage expanded the belongings with the help of the Besors and the Monteskis. During this period “Domus” was under protection of St. Maria and the 11,000 Virgins. . In this connection Arnau got church permission to build a a chapel in one of the towers in honour of St. Maria and the 11,000 Virgins.

1401-1412

Gilabert de Canet, son of Arnau de Canet, passed down the house to his daughter Antonia de Canet, who married Guillem de Peguera. From this moment this branch of family owned Domus.

1430

In times of peasant disturbances, so-called “remensas”, Domus was set on fire, but later it was reconstructed.

16th cent.

Huan de Perega assigned the right of possession to Miquel Spano, whose daughter Ana got married to Felipe Dimas de Montaner, the lawyer from Barcelona. Thanks to this event the Montaners strongly bounded themselves with the history of Domus. There are descendants of the Montaners living today.

17th cent.

In times of the Orlaus and Boschs due to development of trade and navigation Domus in Canet de Mar assumed significant importance.

18th cent.

In times of the Orlaus and Boschs due to development of trade and navigation Domus in Canet de Mar assumed significant importance.

19th cent.

Ramon Montaner Vila was an entrepreneur in the field of book publishing. Together with Simon Fratsisko he founded the publishing house “Montaner and Simon”, which territory is now occupied by Foundation of artist Antoni Tàpies. The Tàpies Foundation is situated on Aragon st., 255, between La Rambla and Passeig de Gràcia. Louis Domenek Montaner, nephew of Ramon Montaner Vila, created the project of the building. Moreover he carried out a project of the house-tower on the corner of Mallorca and Pau Claris, which is now the building for the Government of Barcelona

End of the 19th cent

Ramon Montaner charged his nephew Luis Domenek Montaner with the duty of restoration of the building "Domus".

1899

Ramon Montaner had bought a part of antique collection and windows from Priorato del Tallat cloister for his house in Canet de Mar.

1908

In 1908, King Alfonso XIII of Spain accepted the invitation of Ramon Montaner and stayed in the Castle for a few days. The most famous politicians, cultural workers of those times visited the Castle. The owner of the Castle in his turn was entitled to be the Earl of Valle de Canet. The Castle was the ideal place for creative work, discussions and ordinary meetings.

1900-1909

After Domus was restored Luis Domenek Montaner initiated building of the new part in the Castle.

1928

On the 30th of April 1928 Ramon de Capmany and Montaner, well educated and famous artist, married Maria Teresa Sike in the chapel of the St. Florentina’s Castle. Their daughters Florentina and Maria Teresa Capmany Sike inherited the Castle.

 

1949

The St. Florentina’s Castle oficially became a cultural heritage.

1998

The Architectural Digest Journal in the November issue put the Castle of St. Florentina in the list of the most beautiful houses in the world.

1999-2014

Since 1999 The annual classical music Festival is being held in the Castle. In summer 2013 took place the 15th anniversary Festival. Besides, the St. Florentina’s Castle represents a noble and luxury space for different private and corporate events